Sunday, February 22, 2015

Florida Sunshine

It was apparently cold in Florida the past few days.  It was 50 degrees and sunny.  Since it was -13 degrees when I left Duluth, I was glad to venture to the "cold" Sunshine State for a few blissful days hanging out with my best friend.  We've been talking about a Girls Getaway for years, and finally the stars aligned and it happened!  Corrie and I spent a couple days in Treasure Island with a room on the beach and it was a fabulous Mama Break for us both.  Eli stayed home with my boys and Corrie's husband stayed home with hers, and we were free to walk the beach, bike the neighborhoods, read our books, watch a movie, and sleep in.  It was divine!






The beach is beautiful: palm trees everywhere, the bright sun reflecting off the bright sand, an expansive sky over a vast ocean, and blazing sunsets that demand attention.  It was lovely to be there, and lovely to attempt capturing its beauty.  (Key word: attempt).














We had the pleasure of staying with Corrie's grandparents for a night too.  They live in a retirement community and have bougainvillea plants and drive a golf cart and play charades and eat loquats, so basically they're some of the coolest people I know :)  It was a joy to see them again and take their golf cart for a spin :)  Ahh, the pleasures of Florida!






More than anything, it was a delight and a blessing to spend a few days with Corrie.  We grew up in Davison together and spent a lot of time becoming best friends.  We went to camp and played soccer and sang in musicals and shared crushes on boys and went on mission trips and took driver's training and ate donuts and laughed our way through Mr. Zeller's chemistry class.  Then I went to Minnesota for college and it was desperately hard to have so many miles between us.  But our friendship deepened across the miles and we are still holding each other up.  Corrie encourages me, makes me laugh, holds me accountable, inspires me, and points me to Jesus.  I am blessed beyond measure to call her my best friend and to have created more memories with her these past few days!




No comments:

Post a Comment