Friday, September 5, 2014

The Hike

Eli started hiking yesterday.  We've been talking about The Hike for a long time.  It's been his dream to hike the Superior Hiking Trail someday, and yesterday marked the start of that dream.




Although the trail runs an official 296 miles between Duluth and the Canadian border, Eli didn't start quite at Canada and won't be hiking all the way to its southern end.  But he will be hiking well over 200 miles in total, which is a lot of ground to cover, and a lot of gorgeous scenery to take in, and a lot of fresh air to breathe.  

While his feet will be covering 10-12 miles a day, his mind will be relaxing.  While his body will be carrying the weight of his pack, his soul will be resting and rejuvenating.




After laboring long and hard for the past three years, this is Eli's chance to reset after residency.  I'm so thankful he has the chance to do this, and so thankful he has the will to do it in the first place.  I love and admire and respect my husband for going into the woods like this and for choosing to be alone and with God for such an extended time.  I'm thankful and proud that our children have a father who is setting the example of taking the time necessary to seek and pursue God in such a meaningful way.  He is wise enough to take the time to reset, and wise enough to do it in a place and manner that matches the way God made him.




May God bless him and keep him this month as Eli hikes his way toward home again.  May he "come further up, come further in" as he gets a taste of heaven here on earth.




"I have come home at last!  This is my real country!  I belong here.  This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now.  The reason why we loved the old Narnia is that it sometimes looked a little like this.  Bree-hee-hee!  Come further up, come further in!"

~ Jewel, in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Last Battle


No comments:

Post a Comment