Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Puddles

It only took five or six weeks, but I finally convinced Caleb to wear his new rain boots.  I never thought it'd take so much coaxing - they're Superman boots, for goodness sake! - but he was resistant time and time again because they were not part of the normal routine.

Every day when we leave the house, we put on coat, hat, and shoes.  Simple routine.  But each article of clothing required some transition time as winter turned into spring.  It took about a week before he'd stop wearing his winter coat in exchange for a hoodie jacket.  It took a few days before he was willing to forgo his winter hat for a baseball hat.  And then the shoes.  First we had to transition from winter boots to regular shoes, and then I tried the rain boots and apparently it was too much too soon.  Caleb thrives on routine.  Trying the rain boots was sacrilege.

But this past weekend, for some reason, he simply decided it was okay to wear the new rain boots.  His change of heart came just in time because that very day was the first of three days of rain.  And since he wore the rain boots, he also discovered the joy of jumping in puddles.




He ran, he jumped, he splashed, then ran and jumped and splashed some more.  He was soaked.  And I laughed and laughed!  I called for Eli to bring out the camera because a little water-logged boy enjoying his new Superman rain boots was something I wanted to treasure forever.




Even though I was glad to see the sun return, I'm kinda looking forward to more rainy days this summer :)




No comments:

Post a Comment