Sunday, June 1, 2014

Baby Birds

After discovering that a particular robin has been hanging around lately, I wondered if a nest might be nearby.  Soon enough I found it: under our deck at the very top of the stairs.  And sure enough, there are baby birds!  We can peek through a crack and see four little robins snuggled together in a cozy nest.




I told Caleb about the birds and showed him how to find them.  He was amazed and exclaimed, "Baby birds!  I see 'em!  I see 'em!"  Now he routinely looks for the them and for their Mama too.




We can see the nest quite well from below the deck where our basement door is.  The Mama Robin always flies away when I walk by, but she stays put when Caleb is there to see her.  He likes to see if she's there and repeatedly says "scared, scared" (because I once explained that she gets scared when I'm there and now he apparently thinks that she's always scared).




While I was checking out the nest from below, I noticed two eggshells on the ground.  Robin's egg blue, just like the crayon :)  I showed Caleb to explain how birds hatch, and he took the shell from me which instantly crumbled in his little hand.  Oh well!




Here's the Mama.  She's always close by, on the fence or the clothesline post or the shed, etc.  She often has a worm or bug in her beak and I wish I could see her feed the babies but she never comes to the nest when I'm poking around.




This is how I knew there were four babies!  It's hard to tell sometimes because they all wrap into each other and blend into one big baby robin mess.  But I sat there with the camera for awhile, just waiting and waiting for a chance to take a picture of them with their mouths open in that idyllic baby bird way.  And then it happened!  I can't believe I was so lucky to get this shot!  (Incidentally, I was sitting there waiting and sometimes said, "Come on, birds!  Please look up!  Come on!"  And now Caleb will sometimes say that too: "Come on, birds!  Come on!")




We are thrilled to have this happening right outside our door.  It's wonderful to show Caleb this part of nature!


No comments:

Post a Comment