Tuesday, October 17, 2023

A Quiet Birthday

Turning 41 means you are solidly in your fifth decade of life; there's no pretending you're not in your 40s.  At least that's what I told Eli last week when his birthday rolled around!

This year we enjoyed a quiet celebration.  Eli has never been one to appreciate attention on his birthday (says his birthday-loving wife with a sigh...).  Since I created such a fuss over his 40th last year, I acquiesced to his desire to keep his birthday on the downlow this year.  I tried my hand at making sweet and sour chicken for the first time ever (which turned out pretty good!), and we devoured scotcheroos for dessert.  And that was it.  Truly, it was a quiet birthday and Eli was very happy.





I found this amazing "Philosoraptor" shirt on Amazon and knew Eli needed it.  Eli is always in need of more T-shirts because 1) that's the only thing he wears if he's not in scrubs, and 2) he hates shopping with a zealous passion and therefore never adds to his already-sparse wardrobe, which means he also wears out the small clothing selection he has until it's in tatters and then just keeps wearing it like that, much to my chagrin.  On top of all that, finding shirts that are long enough for his tall frame is not easy.  So I am always on the lookout for fun, long T-shirts for my man.  And this shirt fit the bill perfectly!

Fun fact: Eli double-majored in Physics and Philosophy.  In fact, he actually was a triple major until his Math major was demoted to a minor because he needed to squeeze in space for pre-med requirements after he decided to pursue medicine.  Eli is as nerdy as they come!  Also, he likes Jurassic Park like every human being should, so this T-shirt is perfection.




I am incredibly thankful for my man.  Just last night we had the privilege of sharing our story again with some visitors - how we met and how we felt called to medical missions - and I was encouraged anew by God's faithfulness to us.  The Lord so clearly brought Eli into my life, and He so clearly led us down a path, one nudge at a time over the course of years, that led us to Kenya and to this ministry we're blessed to be a part of.

This story of mine wouldn't exist without Eli in it.  And it's a good story.  I am deeply thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment