Monday, June 1, 2020

Goodbyes Again

Goodbyes stink.  Even the goodbyes that are just "see ya later"s.  We had one of those this morning, and it stinks.  This missionary life is chock full of hellos and goodbyes - more than I ever imagined - and it never gets easier.

The Webbers finally found a way back to the States for their Home Assignment, which is overdue at this point, and which will be so good for them and their families.  We know how wonderful it is to head back and reunite with family and friends, and how nice it is to just be in your passport country.  But every time someone leaves, someone else is left behind, and we're those people who are left behind this time.

The kids had one last romp this morning before the Webbers took off.  I love these precious faces so much.




We also enjoyed a trip to the waterfall over the weekend, enjoying the Kenyan sun and the beauty of this place.  These people are our tribe, and even though they'll be back, their temporary absence will be sorely felt on our part.  Our kids play together every day, we homeschool together, we do life together.  I've told our boys that the good thing about missing people is that it's evidence of our love for one another.  We know that already, but it's good to remind ourselves of this truth at times like this.




Asa and Jack's conversation this morning:

Jack: Asa, you're coming with us.
Asa: What?
Jack: I mean it.  You're coming with us.
Asa: Nooo, I think you're joking.
Jack: I'm NOT joking.  I'm serious.
Asa: [stunned confusion and hope]
Mama Horn: [tears]




I love these kiddos and I love their friendships.  I love that we have deep and meaningful friendships here just like we do in the States.  I do not love that we can't be with all our friends at the same time and in the same place, and I long for heaven when that won't be true, when we can access each other easily and whenever we need to, and it will be wonderful and beautiful and perfect.




Until then, we'll enjoy and love our friends while they're with us and we'll miss them and love them while they're gone.  And be grateful for every place and time that we have such good people to call good friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment