Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Our Christmas Miracle

Two days before Christmas I took the boys caroling at the hospital.  We brought a djembe, some bells, and our singing voices (namely my singing voice since I don't think any of the boys sang the entire time).

I wasn't sure how it would go.  Caroling sounds so simple.  But the boys are not used to being at the hospital, and certainly not used to group singing.  The two combined was unusual and had the potential to push one or all of them over the edge.

But it went well.




I anticipated that 2/3 kids would be okay.  Not awesome, but okay.  I was right on that count.

What I did not expect was how well Caleb would do, how incredibly well Caleb would do.  Anyone who knows Caleb knows how much he's struggled with social anxiety for the past several years.  Group participation in anything has been a particular struggle for him, and loud sounds (i.e. group singing) used to make him cover his ears and cower, and being on display has made him literally curl up and cry.  So the idea of walking around a hospital full of sick people he doesn't know watching him sing in a group of people he also doesn't really know - well, it should have been a personal nightmare for him.

But it wasn't.

Caleb came willingly!  Caleb participated!  Caleb enjoyed himself!

He shook a tambourine for every single song, through seven wards on the hospital.  And he didn't bat an eye while doing it.  And here's the kicker: afterwards he said to me, "I really like this.  I want to do it again sometime!"

I was in happy shock :)

The Lord has been so very good and gracious to our son.  I am so thankful to God for this huge step forward, this milestone, this Christmas miracle.




Just imagine what God can and will do in the next year in our son's life!  God is good and gracious, the giver of all good things, and we rejoice in this good gift: our son who enjoyed caroling at the hospital!


No comments:

Post a Comment