Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Flag Day Flags

The only thing I knew about Flag Day as a kid was that one of my closest friends had her birthday on that day.  That, and we lived in the City of Flags, which I thought was pretty cool although I didn't know if that meant anything beyond all the flags outside our city hall/library (and I still don't know if it means anything). 

Now, as a result of homeschooling and looking up all sorts of information that I can pass on to our children, I know what Flag Day is!  It celebrates when America chose its flag, and officially became a holiday under Woodrow Wilson.  Pretty simple!

Well, this year we didn't do much to celebrate the American flag, but we did create our own flags!  We took a walk to find sticks that could serve as flag poles, then stopped at the neighborhood shop to find some fabric, then headed home to get creative.  The kids loved this project and I was proud of the results.










I haven't had the capacity to do many crafts with the kids for awhile because LIFE keeps happening, and crafts take time and energy and the willingness to prep and clean up afterwards.  But they love doing crafts, and I love that they love that, and sometimes I just commit to doing it.  This was one of those days, and we invited our friends over to join us, and everybody was happy.  

And those flags are proudly displayed in the boys' room, and it makes me happy every time I see them :)


No comments:

Post a Comment